Traveling near and far is a great experience, but many people worry that their trip will cost too much. There are many ways to travel inexpensively and still have a great experience.
Where are you going?
- If you have a destination and time frame in mind, and your travel requires a flight, you may not be able to find inexpensive pricing. You can, however, search non-airline sites for deals that may be a little cheaper than what the airline shows. Just be aware that booking with a 3rd party may make changes or addressing issues more difficult than if you book directly with the airline.
- If you don’t have a particular destination in mind, you can search your departing airport, and the dates you want to travel into Google Flights, and then choose to ‘Explore Destinations.’ This gives you the prices for flights from your airport to various airports across the world.
- Traveling in the US? Don’t forget that when traveling within the US, you have access to your SVCU accounts at over 5,000 Shared Branches.
What are you doing?
- If you are looking for outdoor fun, consider visiting a state or national park! State and national parks offer lots of outdoor activities for all ages. Single entrance fees may be incurred, or if you visit many in a given year, an annual pass may be the way to go!
- If you are more of a city-dweller, there is a lot to do in cities across the world. Look at museums, special events or festivals, art shows, river walks and more!
- Looking for fun in the sun? There are many well-cared for public beaches that you can access for little to nothing! Pack a picnic, beach bag, and some can-jam and frisbees, and you’ll be good to go!
Where are you staying?
- Hostels are a great option for budget-conscious travelers. You can choose from bunk rooms of 12 to single rooms and family rooms. Hostels usually have a shared kitchen and a refrigerator you can keep your own food in, and help you save some additional money instead of dining out!
- Hotels, Motels, and Inns may be an easy option for you and your family based on your needs. Make sure to look at the reviews before booking!
- People often rent out their houses or extra rooms for less than you may think! Depending on where you’re traveling, renting a room or home can offer added benefits you may be looking for!
Travelling doesn’t have to be expensive and if your destinations and dates are flexible, you can travel across the world for much less than you think! Wherever you decide to go, keep these tips in mind to keep your money safe. If your vacation does push your budget a little, see if SVCU can help with a personal loan or credit card.